Sunday, June 10, 2012

I am not a mutant

Before I got french-kissed by the c-dawg, I thought what many people think who have cancer in their family: because my [insert family member here] had it, I could get it, too. Since then I've learned that the percentage of hereditary cancers is very low - ranging between 5-15% of all incidents of cancer, depending on the publication or research or full moon dipping behind jupiter.

When I was diagnosed one of my first thoughts was "wonder if this is genetic?". I mentioned that to my onc and she agreed that I had enough of a reason (young, family history, aggressive strain) to get the free BRCA1/2 gene test, but as I went through the carousel of treatment, we both forgot about it. Then, when it came time to begin deciding on one breast removed vs. two, I realized I was too late to get the wheels in motion (the test can take up to a year) and had to make up my mind on the prophylactic removal of rightie without all the information. I decided on the scorched earth route, and although the right came back clear, I've wondered since.

In January, I finally went for genetic testing and counselling - more for my daughters than anything. I'd read that having one of the genes, if they mutated, could increase the risk of developing breast or ovarian cancer by five times (so from the usual 10% to around 60% likelihood). Ballz. I was hoping to be free and clear, but part of me still wanted a cold hard scientific reason for getting the unwanted visitor at 37.

Two weeks ago my results came in. Not guilty. No effed up genes. What I had is considered sporadic cancer. And yes, we don't know everything we need to know about cancer, but as it stands, the reason I got it is unclear. And if there's any pattern in my family, it's because of lifestyle similarities, not DNA. Which is terrifying and empowering and the reason behind everything I do now.

1 comment:

  1. As your mother, I had a small epiphany when you told me the results of your genetic testing results. I have been blaming myself for your breast cancer - it seemed the most reasonable explanation - but now that I know that something other than genetics caused it, I also know that I can no longer blame others for my 2 bouts. I have to take a lot responsibility myself. But I also know that all the genetically food we eat, the stress we put on our lives and the lack of physical exercise can take a lot of the blame. It is never too late to change!

    ReplyDelete