Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Move your arse

I've become a bit of a lazy arse. I used to play team sports. I walked, jogged and ran. I kayaked, swam, rowed, yoga'd, pole-danced. Now I get up, work, eat dinner, work more, then go to bed.

Wow. That sounded a lot more depressing than I meant.

I thought a lot about this post before I sat down to write, because I'm ashamed I haven't found a good enough reason (cancer anyone?) to make exercise a regular part of my life. I'm a big believer that the "I'm too busy" excuse is bullshit. You either make something a priority or you don't. And right now I use any free hour to make Downton Abbey a priority.

But I've become too stupid about this and have to change. I can't expect to keep the c-dawg away for any good length of time if I'm on my ass for the better part of the day.

So here's the thing about exercise - and by exercise, I mean getting your heart going at least three times per week for at least 30 minutes. It jacks up your ability to heal, fills your bod with oxygen, and helps carry away the crap that builds up around your tissues. And this is in addition to what it does for your metabolism, weight control, mood, sleep pattern, bowels, and on and freakin' on.

Over the past 18 months, I've taken up and given up rebounding, tried to get out for a walk at least once a week, danced with my girls on the weekends and gone out for a couple of runs. Nothing except toting the laundry up and down the stairs has stuck. But it all changes tomorrow.

I joined a running clinic for the first time in ever and will run a 10k in April. So I'm forcing myself to get over my pathetic fear of being a pathetic runner and get on with it already.

I bought this great book a year or so ago: The Complete Book of Running for Women:


I've only tackled about a third of it so far, but it has great meditations on motivating yourself to run and breaks down the build up in a manageable way. It makes me want to be a runner. To call myself a runner. There's this and the fact that my old running partner, my cousin, has a life as full as mine and nary a speck of cancer to prompt her and yet manages to make exercise a priority almost every day.

And seriously, there's this 80+ year old woman who jogs up Cadboro Bay Road every day and makes me look even more the chump I am for thinking Downton Abbey (as bloody good as it is) is more important than setting aside an hour every day to move my arse.

4 comments:

  1. I joined the Running Room's Sun Run training a couple of years ago. It was fun and pretty easy. (Except for the hills and the first part of every run.) But on Sun Run day, I still remember running over the Cambie Street Bridge towards the finish line at the Stadium with U2's "One Love" blaring in my ears. What an awesome feeling! Good luck you'll have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are back to the RR Gym - feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey C. Maybe do what me and my wife started doing? We found it hard to break away from the 'ol workstation during the day

    (work life balance .... right. tell that to my colleagues who routinely schedule 60 minute meetings during the lunch hour, or need that deck update *right away*).

    where was I? oh, yes. we purchased bikes last spring. I try my darndest to bike to and from work (whether in Burnaby or Downtown Vancouver) 3 times a week. For me, that is a 30 minute trip with some hills to keep me honest, and is a nice way to start and end the day. I get some exercise, I get some clear space to empty my thoughts, and if I am so inclined, I can reward myself with a satisfying drink/snack at the end. It's a win-win :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggi - I have your little vignette in my brain every time I start a run with my group. Let's just say I'm not a natural runner yet.

    Matt! How great to see your name. I have this beautiful purple cruiser that is itching to get out of the basement, and if tomorrow is as great as today was, I'll take your advice and get out on the damn thing.

    ReplyDelete