Sunday, January 29, 2012

Slowly but surely your senses will cease to resist

First solo run = 3k in 30 minutes (it's a start, yo!)

The recurring nightmare in all this is that I dedicate myself to a life of wellness and the cancer still has the nerve to come back. It happens all the time, so for me to think I'm different somehow requires a certain suspension of disbelief. I have to forget that NYC gang members don't dance around with each other and whistle between knife fights. That Bill Murray is just a foul-tempered, nasty-faced asshole without the IMDB listing.That J-Lo and G-Cloon didn't actually hate each other every stinking second of that bathtub scene in Out of Sight.

I'm quite good at ignoring the boom mics and puppet strings. And most of the time, I'm quite good at convincing myself that that living well, having a superhero immune system, and injecting greens into my veins will be enough.

Now that I'm running, playing guitar and trying to meditate on a regular basis, I also have to keep reminding myself that I won't always feel like a schlub in my trainers, a rube with my chord changes and delicate fingertips and an unenlightened ADD case during my ohms. I need to trust it will all come together and push everything in the same good direction.

So if you're juicing, eating more raw, joining a spitball team or just doing something a little different this year that's just for yourself, trust it's doing good. It's not a quick fix or a fast drop or a dramatic twist. It's evidence you have some control over your bod and your own outcome. And shit, man, does anyone really like being pushed around for very long?

3 comments:

  1. I like to think that I can control my destiny - pretty difficult when you have been visited by the c-dawg two times already, but, the truth is that my destiny is really not that hard to control if I don't look too far ahead. At my age, every day is a new experience. Now that I am controlling the kind of food I am putting down my throat (well, except for the odd piece of birthday cake) the experience is even more intense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Carissa! i finally read your new blog. LOVE IT!!! so many great ideas, suggestions, recipes, and takes on life. i thoroughly enjoy your writing, as well as all the information i gather from it. thank you for sharing with us........you're keeping us healthy. love ya. xo

    PS I can't get my damn photo to upload......so it's anonymous diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are totally controlling your future, Ma - and I could not be more proud, little lady.

    Diane - I've missed you and love that you're here now. :-)

    ReplyDelete