Saturday, January 7, 2012

your bod, your temple

When my oncologist (I like to say that like someone in NYC would say "my manicurist") said this past week she didn't want to see my mug again until 2016, I didn't feel what I thought would be abandonment.

Instead my bod expanded like a unicorn heart and fairly floated down the stairs and out to the parking lot where I actually fist pumped like an idiot in my car.

I also felt something else. I knew I had to do like the Doobies and take it to the streets.

Disclaimer:  I get that I'm far from a guru and am not a doctor or even someone who's done all the research and taste tests I need to do to get the right cred. Hell, my kids still think I'm strumming their pain with my kale and would gladly trade me in most days for some cheese sauce.

But I've read some shizz. I've tried some shizz. And now I want to share some shizz.

Since being diagnosed with and kicking the balls out of breast cancer in 2010, I really have come to see my bod as my temple. I don't expect it to take in garbage and somehow deal with it. I got that message loud and clear in the form of tumours one and two (let's save the why cancer, why me for another time), and if I can help just one other person starve the c-dawg out of their own lovely house, losing my eyelashes will have been worth it.

I promise to be bold, honest, helpful and to do the research you don't have time to do.

So won't you join me?

I'm starting tomorrow with a detox of sorts and am double teaming with my man on this one. I was a whirling dervish this afternoon, making up seven bags of green juice ingredients, roasted tomato soup and quinoa & almond salad to last the week. Even portioned out six bags of raw nuts to snack on and bought two big containers of my favorite hummus and rice crackers. I'm as ready as I'll ever freakin' be. I know if I'm not prepared, I'll open a bag of chocolate covered cranberries instead. Fail.

Try this: green juice

If you have a juicer, try this baby out. I promise it's good. It should make about 16 oz of juice and you need to drink it within 24 hours:
  • 3 kale leaves
  • 2 celery sticks
  • 1 sprig parsley
  • 1 knob of ginger (about an inch)
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 big green apple
  • 1 lemon, peeled
 

Why these ingredients? I'm so glad you asked... They have the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, low-sugar, vitamin-rich, cancer arse-kicking qualities a girl looks for in a juice. Don't buy the stuff on the shelf. It's pasteurized and dead or it's been sitting for longer than 24 hours and dead. Whip it up yourself and drink it slow, yo. I have it as my breakfast and eat nothing solid until lunch. And when you really get into it, try to juice more often than you blend. Blending is good with the fibre and all, but with the juice, drinking it on an empty stomach, the enzymatic super powers go directly to your cells without passing Go or collecting $200. It's gold, Jerry.

It's the best thing I've introduced into my bod over the past year and a half and can't imagine ever living without it now.

So will you give it a try? If you do it already, I'm in love with you. If not yet, isn't it time you started worshipping at the temple of you know who?

- Carissa

11 comments:

  1. She loves me!
    This juice stuff is too good. We've been supplying my bud D at work with the green juice and he's in love too. No more complaints about a goutish foot. He's back on the walking track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new blog, babydoll. I'm locked, loaded and bookmarked on laptop, work cpu and iPhone and I'm passin on this URL to the rest 'o' my peeps. Also think ima gonna start gettin' my juice on this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two favourite people!

    Pete - if you weren't as dedicated to le juice as I am, I'd still be eating pizza for breakfast. You're the man-stuff.

    Christy-doll - thanks for coming over, babe. And you would love the juicy juice, if only for the gigantic cukes first thing in the morn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carissa, I am super excited to read your blog and to start all these new recipes. I have a health concern myself that is going on almost a year and so I'm also totally on board with changing my eating and lifestyle habits. Thank you so much for all you do for us! - Maggi xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always want to be the first to comment on your new blog and something happened, I missed it with this new blog you have started up! It is darn hard having to admit that I am just a latecomer here. I have been detoxing for almost a week now and feel fab after all the sludge that went down into my belly over the holidays. You would think I'd have learned by now, but nooooooooo!

    With the detox, I am only eating raw until dinner and then only fish or chicken but it is getting so that I think raw is the best thing for my body! I love your new blog!!!!Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the green juice. Now I am working on the sugar (stupid sugar). My body is a temple...my body is a temple...my body is a temple...must make this my mantra.
    Love ya, cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Thanks for doing this for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie, Ma, Tash & Jaracah - welcome!

    M - I hope some of this stuff helps. Keep me posted.

    Ma - your raw until dinner had me at hello.

    T - I'm wrestling the sugar demon now, too, and will share a shiteload of stuff on the crack.

    J - it's so lovely to see you on here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your green machine is delish and a beautiful shade of vert...thank you for sharing Carissa...cheers Susan Johnstone, Pete's co-worker :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, you know you are my mentor and hero in this "kicking cancer where it counts" journey we are both on! I am slowing following in your footsteps with regard to the whole food and "my bod and my temple" mantra. Boy it is not easy figuring out where you are with food and where you want/can be. This is infinitesimally harder with three males in the house that are generally meat and potatoes type of guys where there is some hope for my older son who likes food in general and will even venture into the realm of rustic Italian cooking (which I love and tends to have lots of greens, or as we call it verdura). My husband is ok, but I will have to find pretty good recipes to win him over. My youngest is the ultimately pickiest eater and will go to great lengths for as much junk food as possible-- I do get broccoli, corn and potatoes into him a few times a week though.

    Alas, my family's transition could be a difficult one, but I am starting with little things first with them.

    For me, I already like a good variety of foods, I just need make sure that the veggies and fruit are around in greater quanties and ready for new ways to use them.

    You will be proud to know that I have tried your green drink twice now in the company of a neighborhood friend. I like it on its own, but it has been easier to take with a smidge of maple syrup--hopefully this does not impact the overall effect of the concoction.

    I'll let you know how I do and will gladly share some rustic Italian recipes with you.

    Thanks for leading the way and providing a bright light!

    ReplyDelete